Friday, June 8, 2012

I'm Cashin Out!

Team 3 made it through our first tournament! Whew!  We worked hard for nine straight days.  For this tournament we used two courses.  The Taylor-Made Adidas Qualifier was at TimberCreek Golf Course and the AJGA Junior at Steelwood presented by AT&T was at Steelwood Country Club.  Basically, this meant double the work for us.  We spent time at both courses marking the golf course and setting up banners.  We set up tents and stake and rope at Steelwood.  Kyle and I had quite the time marking out of bounds at this place.  We made our way through bushes and "gunch" to hammer in stakes, just to go back and redo it.  Twice.  Luckily for me, Kyle got the pleasure of fixing it the second time all on his own.  Drew and I set up tents and moved them.  Although frustrating at first, the tournament turned out great and we did have fun setting it up and running it. 





Throughout the week we all took turns doing different tasks including starting, POP Copping (Pace of Play cop), setting tees/checking holos, loading coolers with product, setting up tent tops, and banner/stake and rope maintenance.  After finishing our morning tasks we each had three to four groups to follow and rules officiate for.  We would be available for any ruling a player might need, watch for code of conduct violations, issue red cards if the group didn't go through the timing station in the appropriate time.  After the rounds we score three groups and follow other groups until it's time to tear down for the night.  We arrived at the golf course before sunrise, and left after sunset - about 15 or so hours a day!  On Monday, aka Big Monday, we had the practice round and the Junior-Am.  This was probably the longest day of the week.  I was planning to write something about it, but I can't even remember what stood out about it other than it was long - oops.
After loading the trailer in the rain!
  Wednesday was round two and in our first week we had our first rain delay/storm delay/hail delay!!  After a two hour delay we got the groups back on the course to finish anywhere from putting on the 18th green to their last three holes.  Yesterday it rained too.  Except that was when we were packing the trailer - of course! We all were soaked by the time it was finished, but it got done, and I got my inventory done for the week.  
The AJGA uses lots of volunteers for their tournaments and during the qualifier I met a volunteer that was by far my favorite.  First, he didn't look at me like an idiot when I told him I was PE major!  Turns out, he was a PE/Health teacher and football coach for 28 years.  I talked with him until all of my groups came through his timing station.
I've been riding in Hutch all week and we've been "cashing out" HA.  It's been so much fun to jam out in the morning on our way to the golf course - you should see our truck, it's a little bit crazy sometimes!
Today we are traveling to our next destination - Bradenton, Fl for the Rolex Girls Championship at Concessions.  I'm excited to see the golf course and see how crazy marking it will be.  We will be staying at the IMG Academy dorms for the week - we'll see how that is as well! 


1927 miles since Hays,
Kiley


Oh! P.S.  I was informed that in my last post I made Kurtis (with a K - oops) sound like an ass.  After a quality trip to the grocery store and a full week of working with him, I decided he's not so bad!  Hope you're reading this Kurtis! 







No comments:

Post a Comment